Everyone can cook. I think so. Put your heart and soul into what you want to make. Add in some vivid imagination-follow your menu mentally with your eyes. Imagine what you want your food to look like…

I never formally learnt to cook-we were spoilt brats at the convent where we grew up. Great food, perfectly laid tables, perfect table manners. Supervised eating. Few fancy classes to teach us how to lay a table. How to bake a cheese soufflĂ©. How to make a trifle.Bake a cake. Back home we impressed our parent’s dinner guests by adding a few of the things we learnt, to simple menus. The very first thing I ever tried out on my own were English Scones .I got the recipe from the Children’s Britannica. I must have been about 12 .My parents and brother sat around the dining table at tea time, and enjoyed the scones with jam. And I cannot forget how they praised my “work of art”. That was so encouraging. That’s what probably set me on a culinary journey. I volunteered to cook at any and all times. And as I grew up my interest in cooking escalated and my audience changed. From parents to school and college friends to doting husband to in- laws to children in various stages of growing up. Growing up in a European atmosphere convent, moving to Medical School in the South, moving to the North after marriage, helped me develop recipes and blend cooking styles and tastes. I love the warmth of the kitchen. Cooking de-stresses. I love the way you can sautĂ©, stir fry, broil and braise –and concoct new dishes each time you venture to the kitchen. You can be so creative. If anything is the trade mark of our home-it’s the food!

Comments

Popular Posts