I never realized that maintaining a blog would be difficult. I thought that I was a disciplined person, and that I’d be able to spend at least 30 minutes in a day for this. I’m surprised at myself. In response to many of my readers queries-Yes-we do continue to have dinner everynight!!I’m sorry about my lapses.
I’ve also traveled during this period –across the Atlantic to the US.It’s a beautiful time to be here away from my own scorching city. And also wonderful to visit with loved ones.
It’s great to see the evolution of children’s lives, and see them progress from living in dorm rooms to campus apartments to beautiful homes of their own. It’s great to nurture the feeling of being welcomed to their lives with their generous hearts. I overheard them say to someone” It’s great to have our parents around..”, I’d like to respond by saying that “It’s great to be with kids. To be able to tend and care and cook for them all over again”. It’s an indescribable feeling.
So, I’ve been able to travel through some wonderful cities of the US-Ames, Atlanta, San Francisco, and Omaha. I know the mention of Ames leaves people looking at me…what in the world brought you to Iowa? Well…love and affection, and wanting to be near our son for a few days. I love the endless stretches of green-ness at this time of the year. I love the plainness of the rows of soy bean and the fields of corn. The simplicity and non complexity of small towns of like Ames.The drive to Boone County to savor a delectable home cooked Chinese meal.Etched in my memories forever.
The gracious hospitality of our friends beckons us to Omaha. Truly nothing can supersede mid western hospitality. It touches the core of your being.
Atlanta-where we had the most wonderful home cooked meal. Straight from the heart. Simply magical-I mean the food and the ambience.
Can’t say enough about San Francisco-with it’s beautiful hills and dales and gentle valleys.The hills turning a golden brown in summer.The equable climate,the wandering whispers from the dozens of magnolia trees in this picturesque neighbourhood.The serenity and my lack of schedule.Relaxing.

It’s wonderful cooking here-and it’s wonderful to know that all the spices I need are made by Mc Cormicks.


Dinner Tonight

Chicken Tikkas
Green Chutney
Sautéed Carrots and Peas
Roti
Banana Cake with Pineapple and Coconut Ice-cream



Chicken Tikkas


6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut lengthwise and then cubed into 1 X 1 “ pieces
1 cup yogurt
1 teaspoon ginger garlic mince
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste.

Mix all ingredients and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.Prepare grill.
Thread chicken pieces on to wooden skewers, and grill till done! Coating the chicken with a little oil or marinating it will aid in preventing it from drying out while cooking. A medium heat should be used when grilling chicken. Using too high of a heat will cause some parts to cook too quickly and dry out while other parts will not be cooked all the way through.


Green Chutney

1 cup cilantro leaves
1 cup mint leaves
½ clove garlic
¼ red onion, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 green chilli, de-seeded (don’t de-seed if you want it hot!)
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt to taste
A little water

Blend together till it’s very fine in consistency.

Sautéed Carrots and Peas

1 packet frozen carrots and peas
½ a red onion chopped
½ teaspoon ginger garlic mince
½ a tomato chopped
1teaspoon coriander powder
½ teaspoon red chilli powder
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste

Heat oil. Sauté the ginger, garlic and onion till transluscent.Add the tomatoes. Cook for 2 minutes.Season.Add the carrots and peas. Cook on high heat for 5-10 minutes.













Comments

Popular Posts